Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Firsts and Lasts

Dear Kate and Riley,

As we brought Zachary home, we got closer to the time we lost you. Every one of his "firsts" have been bitter sweet as they would have also been your firsts had you been here and they were also your lasts since this time last year you were still with us.

As we experience firsts with Zach I find myself very wistful. I wonder often what it would be like to do this with two babies, or how it would be different with girls instead of boy. I have to say as I spend sleepless nights I wonder how I could have ever done this with two babies but I am sure we would have found a way. I also think a lot about how old you would have been right now and how your first Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc. would have been different than Zach's because he is so young and you would have been much older for all the same firsts.
Here are some of Zach's firsts...



First Halloween, costume was a little big!


First BYU/U of U football Game
Sorry Grandpa Ross, Cougars won!

First trip to the beach/First Thanksgiving

First visit with Santa

Love,
Mom

2 comments:

Holly said...

Zachary is so stinkin cute! Cute costume! I love how he's so small next to Santa! You look great Brooke! Miss you!

Hansel said...

We're thinking about you guys this week and sad that we weren't there with you a year ago when everything was unfolding. I guess thats the worst part about being spread out across the country is that we can't just pop in and be there when those unexpected life-changing things happen. It seems like thats where things got hard is where we weren't there to know first-hand what was going on and to share in your grief and we didn't want to add to the heart-ache by making you tell the story one more time, so communication breaks down for a time.
But Brooke, we can't tell you how much we much we miss that chance to raise our twins alongside yours, but we are also so glad that little Zachary has shown up to bring things back together and add some more smiles into the equation.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. We'll see you in a few weeks.