Friday, December 04, 2009

Lesson Learned


Dear Kate and Riley,
Zach taught me an important lesson about Christmas last night. Since this will be our first Christmas at our house on our own I have been feeling a little sad that Zach will be missing out on the big tree at my mom's and the nice Christmas decorations. I tried to convince Dad that we needed a new bigger Christmas tree (since ours is tiny and sparse) and felt like I could justify buying some new, nicer ornaments to take the place of the 99 cent ornaments I bought years ago when I was single.

Lucky for Dad pregnancy laziness kicked in and I decided we would just set up what we had. I thought I could go buy some new ornaments if the tree was too bare. So last night Dad went and got the Christmas stuff out and we set up the tree. Zach's excitement was heart-melting. He was SO happy about our little tree. He doesn't know or care that its only a little bit taller than he is. He didn't care that most of our ornaments are cheap and kind of tacky looking. He was just excited for his OWN tree (we didn't put one up last year). He exclaimed "OOOH!" over each and every ornament either proudly shouting out what it was "SNOWMAN!" or asking us if he didn't know, "WAH ID DIS?" Every time he looks at it he just exclaims "CWISTMAS TWEE!" and he will NOT let us turn the lights off, ever if he's awake they are on.

It was such a good lesson for me in this busy time of year. Its not about the biggest, best or most expensive. Its about our little family spending time together and making memories. I will always cherish the memory we made last night while Zach helped us decorate "Zachy Cwistmas Twee!"

Today he tried to HUG the Christmas tree when we came home from running errands. I think this is going to be a great Christmas.

Love,
Mom

4 comments:

Liz Stanley said...

haaa cute!!! love how he tried to huge the christmas tree

Stacy said...

I love how cute Zach is, and how excited he gets over the smallest things. He is at one of the best stages for Christmas right now--enjoy it!! I was thinking about you guys and the girls this weekend. We love you guys.

Megan Bowen said...

Happy Birthday Kate and Riley! Thinking of you on this day!

the.nance said...

The first picture says everything you tell us. It's a VERY BIG Christmas tree. Perfect for a proud and happy man.

Nancy Howard
Madison 3rd Ward