Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Poem for your Baby Brother


Dear Kate and Riley,
A little while after we lost you dad and I decided to try to get pregnant again. We were so scared and nervous but we knew we had to try again. While we were waiting for your brother someone from SG posted this poem. I knew that it was a special poem and that it would be special to us if we were able to have a baby after losing you. I saved it on my computer so that I could put it up here when our next baby got here safely. I am so happy to be able to put the poem up finally. I feel like losing you has made us appreciate Zachary so much more and he will always be special as our baby who came after a loss. I feel like you and he will always have a special connection since he wouldn't be here if we hadn't lost you. It is a strange feeling but I do hope that someday he understands how special he is and feels a connection and a relationship to you, his big sisters. I also hope that you understand that you will never be forgotten.

A Different Child

A different child,
People notice
There's a special glow around you.
You grow
Surrounded by love,
Never doubting you are wanted;
Only look at the pride and joy
in your mother and father's eyes.
And if sometimes
Between the smiles
There's a trace of tears,
One day
You'll understand.
You'll understand
There was once another child
A different child
Who was in their hopes and dreams.
That child will never outgrow the baby clothes
That child will never keep them up at night
In fact, that child will never be any trouble at all.
Except sometimes, in a silent moment,
When mother and father miss so much
That different child.
May hope and love wrap you warmly
And may you learn the lesson forever
How infinitely precious
How infinitely fragile
Is this life on earth
One day, as a young man or woman
You may see another mother's tears
Another father's silent grief
Then you, and you alone
Will understand
And offer the greatest comfort.
When all hope seems lost,
You will tell them
With great compassion,
"I know how you feel.
I'm only here
Because my mother tried again."

Written by Pandora Diane MacMillan


Love,
Mom

9 comments:

Barbara said...

That is beautiful Brooke. It fits perfectly. Zack is so cute with his eyes open!!

Lauren said...

That picture of zack(zach?) is So stinkin' cute! I love his hair. We seriously need to talk. Love ya!

Holly said...

He looks so soft and cuddily, I love it! He is so cute!!! We are so happy for you guys!

Danielle said...

I love you Brooke, and that little guy too! Look at all of his hair! He is so beautiful!!!

camille said...

Hi Brooke! That is the most touching poem. I have chills all over. Zack is so perfect. It was so fun hanging out with you tonight. You are a blast.

Sara said...

Brooke,
I found your blog through Holly Casabar's. This is Sara Sorensen from BYU English Teaching major days. Do you remember me? I can't believe I found you -- I have wondered many, many times about you. I can't believe it! We had some very fun times!

Congrats on your darling baby boy. He is beautiful.

What a sweet blog you have.

If you have a minute (which is tough to find with a newborn), I'd love to touch base! My email is sarasoelberg@yahoo.com.

I'm thrilled to have found you. We haven't talked since before you headed off to DC for student teaching. That's been a really long time. . .

Love, Sara

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through Oh Happy Day, because I loved your comment to the RN.
I read this poem and I am sobbing. I too have lost little ones. Two years ago almost to the day I delivered my baby at 16 weeks. It was one of the most difficult times of my life. I'm now 13 weeks pregnant and I see the doctor every other week. So far it all looks great. I feel like I could have written that poem. You look at things and your next child so differently after a loss. God bless you and your new little boy.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this website. I lost my 3 month old baby girl 2 weeks ago today, and the poems you wrote have been so helpful to me. Thank you for letting other mothers out there know there is hope.

Unknown said...

Dear Brooke:

I am Pandora Diane MacMillan* (formerly Waldron), author of the poem, "A Different Child" written on March 4, 1999, which you have posted to your web site.

Thank you for posting my poem correctly and even spelling my name right! You wouldn't believe how rare that is.

Will you do one teensy thing more for the Author and post my original dedication? It's in my children's honour, not mine.

"------for Madoka Marietta Rosalie, from your mother,
Pandora Diane Waldron*--------March 4, 1999.

Remembering, with love, and not with sadness,
our Special Angel, Rhiannon Roxane,
who left this world 2 years ago today."

If my words can bring joy, hope or comfort to others, it is in this way that I continue to honour the legacy of Rhiannon Roxane. Let your child's memory be a living one, sharing the love you gave with others, and not a cold piece of stone.