Saturday, December 06, 2008

Happy Birthday!


Dear Kate and Riley,
Happy second birthday. I cannot believe two years have passed. The one year mark seems like yesterday. Last year it was cold and gloomy on your birthday, this year it was warm and sunny. I felt like it kind of reflected a change in me as well. I was happy last year too but time does wonderful things for healing hearts and this year celebrating your birthday did feel a little more like celebrating instead of grieving. I did have myself a good cry last night but I also actually enjoyed shopping for your gifts that we are going to donate and buying pretty things to bring to the cemetery today.

Dad, Zach and I headed to the cemetery this afternoon with balloons and flowers and got such a nice surprise when we got there to find that Grandma and Grandpa Hansen had already sent a big huge arrangement and balloon that was on your headstone already. It was much more beautiful than the flowers we brought and it was just a great surprise.

Zach is still a little too young to understand but we told him that his sisters are here and that the balloons and flowers were for your birthday. We had him wave goodbye as we left and that just really touched me. I know that someday he will understand and then going to the cemetery will have more meaning for him. Today he was just excited about balloons.

I hope you have a big celebration in heaven. We got to go to a musical at the church last night called Savior of the World. It was all about the life of Christ. I was glad that we got to go the night before your birthday so we could be reminded of the wonderful gifts of the atonement and resurrection and know that we will see you again some day. We love you so much. We remember you in our prayers always and you are such an important part of our family.

Love,
Mom

10 comments:

Barbara said...

Happy Birthday Kate and Riley! Your birthday is on our calendar, so I have been thinking about you girls all week. Not only have you touched your Dad, Mom, and brother's lives - but so many more of us as well. We love you.

Tia said...

Brooke that was really nice to read! Im really glad that this year felt so much better for you!

jess said...

happy birthday angel girls! thinking about you guys...

Lauren said...

Happy Birthday Kate and Riley! Thanks for the sweet post Brooke. You always amaze me with your perspective on things. I love the hope and gospel truths you share when you talk about your sweet angel babies. Love you and thinking about you!

Megan Bowen said...

Brooke, I'm soo sorry I didn't say anything yesterday about Kate and Riley. I was thinking about them all week and for some stupid reason kept thinking that the 6th was on Sunday. I knew better but it never compute. I am glad to see that you had a good time remembering them, I know how much they mean to you and your family. You guys are so strong and continue to amaze me. Happy Belated Birthday Kate and Riley!!!

Liz Stanley said...

happy birthday kate and riley! i remembered last year it was right around Henry's birth. We love you sweet angels.

Rachel B. said...

Tom and I are thinking of you guys. We know that this is a hard time for you, but we've always been very impressed with your sweet outlook on it all. Happy Birthday to your girls!

Katelyn & Wade said...

Let me dry my eyes, that was very sweet...Happy Birthday Kate and Riley. I hope you celebrated big in heaven in Saturday!

Marcy said...

What a beautiful letter Brooke. You have me in tears, of course. Happy Birthday to your two angels!

Sheri N. said...

I think it is really cool that you do this. Soon Zach will be able to think about his sisters in heaven and appreciate the cemetery visits.