Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ragnar Relay


Dear Kate and Riley,
This weekend I did one of the craziest things I've ever done! I ran a relay race from Santa Barbara to Dana Point. We had a team of 12 girls, 2 15 passenger vans and 24 hours to get there. Each of us ran 3 legs ranging from 3-10 miles in length. Sleeping was really not part of the plan. We got breaks while the others ran but that time also included navigating to the next exchange point, cheering on our runners, etc. I did not sleep for even one minute.

Although we had TONS of fun, I mean you can't go wrong with 6 crazy girls in a van, lots of old school music and sleep deprived silliness, it was also really tough. The people who planned the race had apparently never been to California since they had us running through some of the scariest parts of LA and Long Beach in the middle of the night! We had a few scary run ins but everyone survived and despite the things that made us temporarily miserable, we had a good time over all. In fact, I'd do it again in a heart beat!

Our Van, Moka, Mia, me, Sara, Sadie and Tara, this was after a good night's sleep and when we had no idea what we were getting in to!


Finishing my first leg and handing off the "baton" (slap bracelet!)


Me and Moka after our first leg


We all had a little break in the evening in Santa Monica so we piled in to one van and headed to a classy establishment for dinner...

Denny's which I blame for the "gastro intestinal" issues that many of us experienced later (seriously who eats Denny's in the middle of a race!?)


Rachel and I before our 2nd leg, this one was hardest for me at 2 am!


Last leg for me in Long Beach and you can tell I was OVER it!


Our team was the "hormonal hotties" (credit goes to Moka for the name) we finished with shirts that said "Baby on Board" and stuffed our bellies to look pregnant.

Love,
Mom


9 comments:

Andrea Coles said...

You are so awesome! It looks so fun to run a race like that, but so intimidating at the same time. At least you get to do it with a bunch of friends. You look amazing, by the way! Congrats on the race.

Tia said...

okay you're crazy and that does not look even the slightest bit fun. However you do look sooo great!

Katelyn & Wade said...

Man, not going to lie, I'm a little jealous. It looks like you guys had a great time. Wade told me you guys were freaking running through Compton in the middle of the night! Whaaa??? Hopefully next year they'll have it more together!

Sara Decker said...

Now that it is all over I can say that I had so much fun, but if it were still 3am and I still had 2 runs left I would say No thanks!!! ha ha. Next time let's just do a girls weekend please. Wanna run a easy one this weekend?

Hansel said...

I want to know how long each leg was that everyone ran? Sounds like fun.

Elizabeth said...

that was so much more fun that I thought it was going to be that's for sure! We have to do it again! I love that picture of you and Sara at Denny's! Yum!! JK

Unknown said...

Brooke, you look great!! Good for you! I also love the fact that you had an adventure in a van, given all the adventures we had in your family van when you were 16 and the rest of us were 15! It cracks me up!

P.S. Zach is SUCH a doll. I need to meet him! Love love love all the pictures of him.

Liz Stanley said...

congrats. ps, total MILF
pps we need to talk...big things going on...

Adam said...

Congrats on the race....and surviving Compton. Those vans could not have smelled good towards the end. I have made some nutrition mistakes in the past, but never to the level of eating Denny's mid-race!!