Friday, May 29, 2009

Milan

Dear Kate and Riley,
Forgive me if, like I said, I self indulge a little and the next few posts are not going to be in letter form. I think it will be annoying to document our whole trip in terms of "mom" and "dad" so we're just going to be "me" and "Aaron" for the Italy posts.
Love,
Mom

MILAN

We dropped off Zach in Utah and flew from Utah to NY and then from NY to Milan. I thought I was super prepared with my eye mask, ipod with white noise track (calming electric fan), and ambien courtesy of my "supplier". However, none of those things worked and I didn't sleep at all on the 14 hour plane ride!

We arrived in Milan at 9 am, took the train and metro and then walked the rest of the way to the hotel. We checked in, showered and were off. I'm not one to go on no sleep so it was a bit of a challenge for me!

We took the metro to the Duomo area in Milan and walked around the Duomo. It was the first of MANY churches we would visit but it was really cool. Then we went and got lunch, one of the more memorable meals, a DEEP FRIED calzone. I knew that I was going to have to get over my eating issues on this trip if I wanted to enjoy it.

We climbed to the top of the Duomo and got great views of Milan. By the late afternoon I was dying so we went back to the hotel and took a nap. Later we went out again to see the castle, walk around the Duomo area a little more and have dinner. We were so tired we headed back pretty early.

Milan was a good little intro but definitely not the most exciting city in Italy, better days were definitely ahead.
Me on top of the Duomo

Me getting very uncomfortable with an awkward street performer

In front of the Duomo

Inside the Duomo, the inlaid floors were awesome



Aaron at the castle

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

those are awesome pictures! I'm so jealous you got to go there!!

jess said...

so.so.so.so.so.jealous. glad you had fun!