Sunday, May 31, 2009

Venice

From Milan we did a day trip the second day to Venice. We were getting a really good deal at the Marriott in Milan so we decided not to give that up. In retrospect, I would have liked to spend the night in Venice, I loved it!

We took an early train to Venice, my first of many train rides but this one had reserved seating and we had to sit backwards. I HATE facing backwards on anything moving so of course I got sick. After an hour or so we were able to switch seats (phew!).

We got to Venice in the morning and I was immediately in love! It was SO beautiful and I just felt like we were in a movie. We got a snack (pizza of course) and walked around a little. We started to make our way to St. Mark's Square but got pretty lost on our way. We ended up on some really great streets that were beautiful and uncrowded by tourists-- so great!

After we got oriented again we started at the Doge's Palace, it was also great, I loved the gold ceilings, just amazing. Then we went to lunch--amazing lasagna. After lunch we took a gondola ride (Aaron bartered the price down with his great Italian skills).

We ended our day with gelato, the Friari Church, another great walk through some side roads and then took the train back! We had a late dinner in Milan and that was day two!

I really loved Venice and if we do this trip again (ever?) I would like to stay a day or two.


So pretty!


Golden Ceiling in the Doge's Palace



Our gondola ride


I wondered what kids did in this city with only water and streets. Then we saw some kids playing with a kayak right outside their back door. It was a great little peek into Venice life.

7 comments:

Jenny said...

sooo pretty!! Bring us back with you.

Rachel B. said...

Wow, wow, wow! That all looks so amazing! How great for you guys and also that you got to go alone. Also, I don't know if Aaron ever mentioned that he knew my brother Jacob from their missions in Milan. Small (and amazing) world.

Nate and Nicole said...

Aah... I LOVE Venice. We got lost all the time there, too, but that was the best part... just wandering around the small streets. I wanted to take a picture every time we turned down a street, it was just so picturesque and unreal. Oh man, I want to go back!!

Megan Bowen said...

All these pictures are making me jealous!!!

Michelle Taft said...

you guys are so CUTE!

Melissa said...

Amazing, amazing. Sorry you have to come back to poopy california after that gorgeousness. Can't wait to hear about it.

Marcy said...

I love reading about your trip, the pictures are amazing! So glad you guys got to go!