Friday, June 04, 2010

Father Sons' Campout



Dear Kate and Riley,
*I got the idea from Nicole to have DAD write about the Father/Sons' campout since I wasn't even there!*

A few weeks ago Zach and I went on our first Fathers and Sons campout at San Onofre beach on camp Pendelton. Zach was excited to go camping and sleep in a tent. When we first got there we had to find a place on the beach to set up the tent. We found a place that would keep us dry from any high tide, which was a good decision since high tide washed out a few tents and made some people leave that night. Once we found a spot, taking two trips to the car making sure that Zach didn't wonder off, I was able to put up the tent with assistance from another father. Luckily we didn't have to stake down the tent we just spread our stuff out in the tent.

It was fun to see Zach run around with the other boys and try to imitate what the older kids were doing. For dinner Zach enjoyed roasting hot dogs with his buddy Will, he didn't want any help from me, but I had to keep an eye on him so our hot dogs didn't come out all ashy. There was only one fire pit and a lot of tin foil dinners so some dads decided to start a make shift fire pit. We tried to roast more hot dogs on the new fire pit but Zach wouldn't stand close enough to cook the hot dogs saying that it was "Too hot, dad" and turn away.

The best part of camping by the beach were the trains that passed by and Zach yelling "whoo, whoo, that's a diesel train, dad." He did this every time even as we were in our sleeping bags ready to sleep. Zach had no problem sleeping on the sand, he rolled around a lot, and even talked in his sleep which woke me up at 3 in the morning. I had a hard time sleeping on the sand, I thought it would be soft but it was anything but soft. In the morning Zach sat in the beach chair eating Fruit Loops out of a ziplock bag with a spoon, that he picked out at the store the night before telling me that he needed them for the campout. This gave me plenty of time to pack up the tent and take all our stuff to the car. Although it was a short camping trip, I look forward to more camping trips with the whole family in the future.

Love,
Dad




2 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute! I love that you can take your little guy to a Father/Son campout. Brock can't wait for little Holden to get big enough to do stuff like that. And how nice to camp on the beach. We are so jealous . . . Brooke, you know what camping is like in Texas . . .unbearable!! I didn't enjoy camping until I moved to Utah and realized you actually needed a sleeping bag when you camped to keep warm!! Lol. I love your blog. Everytime I read it, I miss you guys!! If you are ever in the DFW area, you let us know!!
Love, Harmony

camille said...

I love that you had Aaron write all of it down. Zach is such a cutie pie. Every time I see him I want to squeeze him he's so sweet! So glad that it was a great time for Aaron and Zach. Now, to look forward to many more!