Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day

Dear Kate and Riley,
Yesterday was Memorial Day and although we didn't make it out to the cemetery I felt your presence with us as we had a busy and adventurous holiday!

It started with my 1/2 Marathon! I have been training for this for FIVE months! It is actually strange to think how Zach was not even three months old when I bought that jogging stroller and how I cried because I couldn't even run for 10 min. And here I was yesterday running 13.1 miles. I was nervous because I had hurt my foot the week before but I prayed hard for a little help and I was hoping you'd be there to help me out a little too. I guess it worked because I was able to finish without my foot hurting too bad. It was a perfect day for racing, cool and overcast, it even rained a little at the start but nothing too bad. I felt really good and liked that the course ran right past our house and ended on the jogging trail that I have spent all of these months training on. I was so proud of myself when I crossed mile 11 at the exact same spot where I remember being proud of myself for running 10 min. straight all those months ago! What a great feeling to know what I can accomplish when I put my mind to it. I finished in about 2 hours and 26 min. Which is not very fast (about 11:20 miles) but faster than I did my last 1/2 in and that one was before I had ever had babies!) So I am happy and proud and as soon as I can WALK again, I guess I'll have to make a new goal. It was great having Dad and Zach at the finish line cheering me on and great to have my other friends there who have been training and motivating me on our running blog. Unfortunately we forgot the battery for the camera so we don't have a lot of pictures.
Pre race (Jessica, Amy, Kacy, Mom)

Post Race (Mom, Kacy, Jessica, Mique, Amy)


The other exciting thing we did on Monday was take Zach to his first baseball game! It was really fun and Zach was a trooper through TWELVE scoreless innings. In fact, talk about disappointing, the only run was WALKED in! I never would have stayed at a game for that long but there were fireworks afterwards we really wanted to see. Unfortunately Zach was SO tired by then the fireworks freaked him out and he just screamed the whole time. Well, maybe next time. But he sure did look cute in his Angel's gear! I thought of him in that Angels' shirt and it made me think of you girls. I had my angel on earth and my angels in heaven. It was a good day.



Love,
Mom

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Congratulations on the race! What an accomplishment!

Sara Decker said...

GOod job on the run, that is awesome. You will just have to go for a marathon now!!! ha ha. That time is great. And Zach looks adorable in his angels gear, he is getting so big.

Nate and Nicole said...

Brooke, I am so impressed! Good job. I'm sad we missed out on the game, but then again, I'm not TOO sad (12 innings - wow)! :) Let's get together soon...

Steph said...

I am de-lurking (I'm not a crazy person or anything, don't worry) to tell you congrats and that you are giving me hope!!! I am running my first 1/2 in august and I just barely was able to run 3 miles and just did 5 on Saturday...I started off at that same "running for 10 mins" as well! I have followed your blog forever now and just have to say that you rock and are one beautiful mama. Zach is a doll and you are such an inspiring person. I love reading your blog!!!

Steph in Chicago
http://ourjohnsonjourney.blogspot.com/

Liz Stanley said...

congrats! you are my hero

Lauren said...

You are my hero! Congrats and btw-you look great!

Lauren said...

p.s. i'll call you this weekend so you better answer!

Holly said...

Congrats on your race Brooke! You inspire me...seriously! Your little one is growing up into such a little man! He's so cute! And you...by the way...look amazing!