Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Cinque Terre-- Riomaggiore

View from our room in Riomaggiore

The next morning we left Milan on an early train to the Cinque Terre, five towns on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea. This was a pretty train ride and I didn't have to sit backwards, yay. I was surprised as we got closer and closer how many more tourists we saw. This place was crawling with American and German tourists. It was interesting as we started to hear English more and more.

When we arrived in Riomaggiore, the southernmost town of the five, we realized we had not made arrangements to meet Claudio, the man we were renting a room from. When we got off the train we tried to call him but couldn't get ahold of him. Unsure what to do, we sort of looked a little lost at the train station with our bags and no place to go. Aaron stopped an old man to ask him a question and the guy ended up being so nice. He pretty much dropped whatever it was he was doing and walked us into the center of town. He yelled across the street to his buddy and then we had two guys helping us look for Claudio. The town itself was TINY, just one main road with a few restaurants and shops and then houses just huddled up against the coast and stacked on top of each other. Anway, eventually we had like three old guys looking for Claudio for us and Aaron finally got ahold of him on his phone. He came and walked us up about 200 stairs to our place, just a little studio apartment but it was perfect and had a great view.

We got a lunch and explored Riomaggiore and then we did the hike to the next town of Monorola, explored that town a little, and did another slightly longer hike to Corneglia and then took the train back to Riomaggiore. We had dinner and I decided to be brave and order sea food, since we were at the sea after all. Well I ended up with an entire sea bass on my plate, eyes, fins, and all! I did manage to eat quite a bit before I got really grossed out.

That night we took the train to Monterosso, the northernmost town and explored. Each town was a little different but they were all so great. We got dessert in Monterosso and took the train back.

The next day we took the train back to Monterosso to do the two hardest hikes, first to Vernazza and then from Vernazza to Corneglia. The hikes were tough! Tons of steps and steep up hills but BEAUTIFUL and green and amazing views. When we finished the first hike and got to Vernazza we got lunch and hung out and I went swimming in the sea. Aaron wouldn't come, I don't know why, but it was so cool and beautiful! Then we did the last hike into Corneglia, which was also tough but beautiful and took the train back again.

That night we got dinner in Monterosso and I had probably one of my best meals from the trip, a local pasta called trofie with pesto--- soooo yummy!

I LOVED the cinque terre, could have stayed here another day or two for sure, it was just beautiful and relaxing.

The many steps up to our room and all over the towns

Riomaggiore from the harbor

Monorola with gelato!

My sea bass-- the whole thing!


Sunset in Riomaggiore

Starting our 2nd day hikes in Monterosso


On the trail with beautiful views


On the trail with Vernazza below

Swimming in the harbor in Vernazza, I promise I wasn't the only one!

Views of Vernazza from the other side as we hiked to Corneglia


On the trail with Corneglia in the background

2 comments:

megan said...

eating through a vacation definitely runs in the family!! I find it difficult not to base my ENTIRE vacation around food...its quite impossible..you should entitle these..."My feast through Italy"

Lisa Webb said...

WOW! that place looks amazing, i already said i was jealous, still am. A whole seabass! BAHAHA!! I love the pictures!