Friday, April 01, 2011

Our First ER Visit


Dear Kate and Riley,

Well, I knew that with two boys it was only a matter of time until we had our first ER visit. However, I thought it would be a Buzz-inspired leap off the coffee table or a McQueen-inspired race that would send us there. Not the neighbor's dog.

Zach got an unfortunate (and definitely un-warranted he wasn't teasing the dog at all or even looking at it) bite on the face from our neighbor (and friend's) big dog. It was a fatal mistake for the dog, unfortunately, as this wasn't his first strike. Zach was a very brave boy, really I was so impressed with how brave he was because I know he was very scared. I have to say, I was also pretty impressed with how calm and put together I was (although I had a minor melt down after it was all over and he was in bed!). It really wasn't that bad all things considered. We were lucky that it wasn't closer to the eye. Three little stitches and he was in ship shape. Getting to play games on my phone and the sticker drawer they let him raid after led to the comment as we were walking out of the ER, "Mom, that place was so fun!" which made everyone laugh and the doctor call after us "Come back any time!" uh, no thanks!

I took him for ice cream for dinner since we had missed it and he told me a few more times what a fun night he had. One thing about Zach, he is the most positive, optimistic kid you'll ever meet. He's so enthusiastic about life and he really thinks everything is so cool. So really, he even found a positive spin on getting bit in the face. He was excited to show all his preschool buddies his stitches. Really, I'd say getting them removed a few days later was more traumatic.

Love,
Mom

2 comments:

Tia said...

no that is bad actually I would have freaked out - but your right we always surprise ourselves. Poor little guy - stupid dogs! So yes you need to crossfit and I don't go to a crossfit gym- I just do it on my own. I've just done all the research and figured out what everything meant from the site. They post all of their workouts on crossfit.com. But I also have a workout of the day book WODbook.com and it has all the workouts posted in there. I love that book! Seriously email me with questions Im hooked the workouts are amazing!

megan said...

I came to post on the tragedy of the bite and read all about Tia promo-ing crossfit?? :)

That is a crazy story - and a sickening scary story too...I'm sorry - his scar will match one of Mac's (although his was from a leap into furniture - Mederma didn't help as much as I thought it would :(