Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Navajo Fry Bread

Dear Kate and Riley,
On Wed. we got to meet up with the Ericksons at the Dinosaur Museum at Thanksgiving Point. Unfortunately, I forgot my camera so no pictures from that adventure but it was fun and Zach thought the dinosaurs were pretty cool. Unfortunately Zach decided to end the afternoon with a monsterous meltdown over where we ate lunch so that was not so much fun.

That evening we gathered back at the Canova/Hansen house for more swimming and for Anita to make us some real Navajo fry bread. It was awesome. She brought her sister along to make sure she got it right and I intended to observe so I could duplicate it at home until I watched them "measure" the ingredients. Let's just say there was no measuring involved. It was a little of this and a little of that. It was pretty fun to watch Anita since I haven't seen her make fry bread since I was a kid and she made it at our house one time. It was delicious and no, Jillian, we didn't throw any away! (It was definitely a once in a while kind of treat!)

Careful measurements


rolling out the dough


the good part


Papa Ross decided to get in on the fun and make his own fry bread. It was pretty hilarious how much he fumbled with it. I like the look of concentration he has in the second picture. That was when Anita told him to use his fists but trust me she did NOT look like that when she whipped those puppies out.



Ashlee had to model a finished one for me

Love,
Mom

No comments: