Monday, January 08, 2007

Your Story: And then there were two


Dear Kate and Riley,
Here is the second part of your story, when we found out there were two!

The first few weeks of pregnancy were uneventful. I was so excited, reading everything on the internet that I could, reading books, etc. I wasn't sick so that made me a little nervous but I did have some other symptoms. I was teaching summer school so I was glad that I wasn't sick. We were planning on waiting a few weeks to tell everyone but ended up telling all of the family that first week. We found out Aunt Stacy was pregnant too, we were so excited.
At week 6 1/2 (2 1/2 weeks after we found out) I started bleeding. I knew that couldn't be good and I was so scared. I cried and cried and poor dad had to leave me the next day to go out of town. That Sunday I kept bleeding so I called the doctor. On Monday they sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound. Aunt Jenny was at work and dad was out of town so I took my friend Crystal since I didn't want to be alone to get any bad news. I was so scared at the hospital and it felt like we waited forever. I laid on a table and the lady started the ultrasound. She didn't say anything for a very long time. Crystal and I looked at each other wondering if everything was ok. Then the lady said she needed help and left the room! She brought in another ultrasound tech and asked her how to do "A" and "B" with the machine. We didn't know what that meant but for a second it crossed my mind that there could be two of you. I couldn't believe it though. The two of them did some things on the screen but since you were so little we couldn't tell if you were ok or not. FINALLY, the tech said "OK, let me tell you what we are looking at. See the flashing light?" we did "that is the heartbeat" ok, that's good "see the other flashing light?" we did "That is another heartbeat" WHAT!? I could NOT believe it. There were two of you! I was SO surprised. I tried to call dad but he was in meetings and couldn't answer his phone. I called my mom and told her. We were in shock.
Crystal and I were SO happy everything was ok and called a bunch of people to tell them. I called dad probably 200 times. Finally he called me back. He was so shocked he didn't know what to say. I knew he would be scared to have two babies. He hung up and said he needed to "process this". All of our friends joked around that it was ruining his spreadsheet. (I'll tell you all about dad's spreadsheet another time)
I was SO nervous and excited that there were two of you. I started reading everything I could about twins. The bleeding had come from what is called a subchorionic hematoma so I knew we were not out of the woods. The doctor put me on medicine and I IMMEDIATELY started feeling VERY sick. I stayed very sick for the next 8 weeks. I was supposed to rest and not walk a lot. We went on our trip to Wyoming and I sat on the couch the whole time, I was very scared to lose you, I just wanted you to be safe.

Ok girls, more later.
Love, Mom

2 comments:

Liz Stanley said...

i love this! i remember aaron being so freaked out. we were all so freaked out and so excited!

Anonymous said...

I remember sitting around at work so anxious to hear how the visit to the doctor was going... Then I got a text message that is still saved on my phone. It said "so how bout instead of zero babies we have two?" I jumped up and ran all around the pool telling everyone I worked with that I was going to be an aunt twice over.